Monday, March 30, 2009

Adventures in Intarsia



My friend Pat invited me as a guest to the Knitting Guild of Buffalo's meeting. They were doing a demonstration on intarsia knitting. I had to idea what that meant and was afraid I would stick out like a sore thumb at the meeting. Well, I didn't need to worry about that - there were so many knitters there, I felt like I had walked into a bingo hall! So I blended into the crowd and learned how to "intarsia". I'd love to know why it's called that.

I have little bits of cotton yarn left from some dishcloths, so I want to use this method to use up those leftovers. I better do it quick, or I'm likely to forget how!

2 comments:

  1. Intarsia is used when you want to add color in a large area. Stranded knitting is when you have more intricate patterns like faire isle and so on. Intrarsia also adds less bulk when you are changing colors. Stranded is more bulky and is exceptional for adding warmth to items, mittens, sweaters, hats and so on.

    I can't wait to see what you are creating!

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me panic just looking at it! Some day I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete